According to the recent report by The Global status report on road safety 2013, it has been estimated that more than 231 000 people are killed in road traffic crashes in India every year. Approximately half of all deaths on the country's roads are among vulnerable road users - motorcyclists, pedestrians and cyclists.The traffic in India is heterogeneous mix of high-speed vehicles sharing the road space with vulnerable road users as well as unsafe road infrastructure and vehicles that are in poor condition are responsible for increase in road accidents in the country. It is said that the frequency of traffic collision is highest in India. A National Crime Records Bureau(NCRB) report revealed that every year, more than 135,000 traffic collision-related deaths occur in India.
It is sad to see that there is no due importance is given to the lives of human beings. I would not call them accidents, these are no less than murders but who are responsible for the murders of innocent lives of the citizens.
The national and state highways of the country constitute only about 6.2% of the total Indian road network and yet accounted for 53.3% in total road accidents and 62.6% of those killed in road accidents in 2012. A research report says that most of the truck drivers across the country has disclosed that truckers driving without sleep for measly salaries, most of them without any formal drivers training, licenses procured without driving tests, many carrying multiple or duplicate licenses and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Another main cause of increase in road accidents in the country is the faulty design of roads and use of substandard quality material to build roads. For example- Hero Honda Chowk in Haryana has an expressway that divides villages and fields from workplaces, forcing thousands to cross the dangerous expressway. In New Delhi,the capital of India, the frequency of traffic collisions is 40 times higher than the rate in London, the capital of the United Kingdom.
The WHO had identified the major causes of road accidents in India, like individuals neglecting follow road SIGNS AND REGULATIONS. One of the major causes is over speeding which accounts for one of the many causes of road accidents daily. This happen when drivers deliberately drive above the regulated speed limits either to showoff, meet deadlines or just for fun; they thus put their life and the lives of many other road users at risk. By exceeding the regulated speed limit, one is risking an accident. Some citizens knowingly refuses to obey the law and order.
It is high time we should do something to prevent road accidents in India. Some of the steps are as follows:
1. The most important way to bring down accidents in India is strict enforcement of speed limits. Almost 90 % of accidents can be avoided by strict enforcement of speed limits. Heavy Penalty should be imposed on all those who crosses the standard speed limit. A strict impersonation of the rule is required.
2. According to the Law Commission of India, at least 50% of fatalities can be prevented if road accident victims receive medical attention within the critical first hour after the accident. However, a 2006 study conducted by the Indian Journal of Surgery shows that 80% of victims in India do not receive emergency medical care within that Golden Hour. The injuries can be easily prevented if the passersby willingly give their helping hands to the victim.
3. People adapting the habit of defensive driving by letting others go ahead of them and not defending their position in traffic.
4. Helmet should be made compulsory by the law. Issue of Helmet should be made mandatory with the sale of each two wheeler. Heavy penalty should be imposed for those who do not wear helmets.
5. Keep Distance- No matter how slowly traffic is moving, one should keep at least 5 meters of distance between their vehicle and the vehicle ahead of them.This will avoid collision and accidents.
6. Follow traffic signals- Some people are in a hurry and skip traffic signals, this sometimes results in collision and massive road accidents. Never forget to use signals even when the road has less traffic. Always use the indicator before taking a turn.
7. Seat belts are must- Never forget to wear seat belts.Buckling up only takes a second and can save your life in an accident.
8. Do not use cell phones while driving- people can wait but life can't. No call or message is important than your life. While driving your eyes should be in front not at the cell phones.
9. Well maintained roads- All the roads should be maintained properly. Permanent contracts or arrangements should be in place for maintaining all roads in good condition 24 hours a day, 365 days an year. If a gutter or man hole is repaired in time it can save a life.
10.Proper number plates- All number plates should be authorized. Any vehicle without a number plate should be stopped and fined immediately.
11. Vehicle should be properly maintained- A pollution check is necessary for every vehicle and with that keep your rear view mirror, wind shield clean and clear.With your vision even slightly impaired, you could lose that split second you need to adjust your course and put yourself in danger.
And last but not the least DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE
I always follow some basic road safety rules which I would share here too:
- Leave a message - Always inform somebody at home about where you plan to go this will help your loved ones to know where to come look for you if needed.
- Carry your identity- Always carry your identity card so that it becomes easy for someone to trace who you are in case of emergency situtaions.
- Unplug your ears - Try and avoid using ear phones or talking on phone—you need to be able to hear approaching vehicles.
- Watch your road manners- At a stop sign or light, wait for the driver to wave you through—then acknowledge with your own polite wave. That acknowledgement will make the driver feel more inclined to do it again for the next walker or runner.
- Carry a First Aid kit- Never forget to carry a first aid kit for yourself or anyone who meets with an accident.
- Don't Rash drive- It is always to be little late. Just remember som is waiting for you.
The Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., conducts the Nissan Safety Driving Forum (NSDF) in India as part of its safety driving promotion activities. The program began as an annual activity in 2012. In its initial phase it covered three main Indian cities – New Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai – and since then has gradually expanded to several additional cities across India.
This year, NSDF would reach 8 new cities – Chandigarh, Jalandhar, Jaipur, Vadodara, Nagpur, Chennai, Mangalore and Kochi. The overall reach and engagement levels have phenomenally grown and NSDF has effectively reached close to 2 lakh citizens. It continues to stay committed to its core objective of promoting safe driving behaviour in India.
Compared to the previous year, NSDF has witnessed an impressive 126% growth in the sensitisation of wearing seatbelts. In addition, NSDF also conducts live simulated experiences to understand how safety features function through a simulated car crash. A 360-degree turn over highlights the use of seatbelts, while sessions on road safety emphasises on road etiquette to stay safe.
Under its Blue Citizenship CSR umbrella, NSDF by Nissan works to build awareness of safe driving in India. NSDF encourages drivers and passengers to wear seatbelts, and participants learn through interactive activities the importance of wearing seatbelts.
Nissan seeks to support reducing fatalities and injuries caused by traffic accidents, and NSDF represents the company's commitment in contributing to young, vibrant and mobile India.
To know more about NSDF visit NSDF The Nissan Safety Driving Forum
At last I would conclude this article with a poem written by me. Hope it touches the soul of everyone.
The Golden Bird, they named you
and idolized you with love and devotion
by considering you equivalent to God
Their heart was full with emotion.
You were soaring high in the sky
with all the treasures you possessed
which made us stand up with pride
and we realized how much we were blessed.
Then came the era, you couldn't fly anymore
your wings were chopped off with cruelty
by the narcissist and self indulgent bodies
who call themselves a part of our society.
Crime,crises,discrimination and corruption
has killed your pious soul brutally
The golden bird, is dead long ago
as it had been murdered by us ruthlessly.
Come back again to us, it is not too late
like a Phoenix arising from the ashes
We the youth promise to protect you
from all the agonizing scratches.
Everyone is special and precious to our nation. Prove to be an asset. Live long and work for the development of the nation.